Launched in 2002, the International Standard for Business Aircraft Operations (IS-BAO™) is designed to promote use of high quality operating practices for international business aircraft operations by:
- Establishing a framework for effective safety and operational processes
- Providing tools to perform gap analyses to facilitate the implementation of best practices
- Delivering a Safety Management System appropriate to your operational profile
IS-BAO™ is based on International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) standards that prepare the operator for both domestic and international operations. It is applicable to both large and small operators.
IS-BAO™ was developed by the business aviation community and is maintained by the community via the IS-BAO™ Standards Board, a group of business aviation subject matter experts nominated by IBAC Member Associations. IS-BAO™ builds on the excellent safety record already established in business aviation.
The program centers on the Safety Management System (SMS) and leads the operator from establishing principles, to achieving an effective SMS, and eventually attaining a risk-averse, generative safety culture. Audits are conducted every two years and ensure conformance with the standards and recommended practices. The audits also provide valuable feedback to the operator. The registration certificate issued upon successful completion of an audit serves as proof of conformance to key ICAO standards.
Audits concentrate on SMS development through a gradual process of advancing maturity:
- Stage One confirms that the SMS infrastructure is established and that safety management activities are appropriately targeted
- Stage Two ensures that safety risks are being effectively managed
- Stage Three verifies that safety management activities are fully integrated into the operator’s business and that a positive safety culture is being sustained
More than 700 business aviation operators in 35 countries are currently IS-BAO™ registered, and continue to improve their safety risk profile, operating effectiveness and efficiency.
To learn more about the IS-BAO™ accreditation you can contact the Aviation Safety Asia team via this link
Aviation Safety Asia’s 8 Key Benefits of IS-BAO/IS-BAH Accreditation
- ICAO Global Aviation Safety Plan encourages participation in programs such as IS-BAO
- The standard is recognised by EASA CEN, CASA, CAAP, BDCA, IOM and many other Aviation Regulators as an Industry Code of Practice for State Safety Program compliance (reduces regulatory oversight)
- Operators can meet EASA Part NCC requirements to operate in Europe with IS-BAO Accreditation Download Brochure
- Enhance operational safety through predictive and proactive methods
- Improve safety culture, efficiency and effectiveness through an integrated SMS
- Enhance ability to measure safety performance
- Increase executive level appreciation of aircraft operations and benefits of operating in an acceptable safety space / accident reduction
- Reduced rates / enhanced support (often rebates or subsidised accreditation/audit costs) from insurance providers
Want further information or a free quote on becoming IS-BAO compliant? Contact Us
Reference: IBAC (www.ibac.org)